You may think you’re ready but do you know what to do to get the best results for the sale of your home? There are no magic tricks when selling, no crystal ball. If you want to sell your home, you want to do it quickly and you want the most bang for your buck, here are some tips for you:
- Know the real estate market ~ Selling your home will always be local so you and your agent need to know the trends in your area. If your agent doesn’t, find a realtor that does. Any time is a good time to sell but knowing the trends in the market can make the difference between your home selling or the 50 others like it on the market right now.
- Stage your home ~ Roll up your sleeves and get to work! A clean, uncluttered home sells. Start packing away what you aren’t going to need, dust all of the nooks and crannies, clean your windows inside and out ~ this will all pay off with a bigger chunk of money at closing.
- Price to sell ~ Any agent can list your home for what you THINK it should be sold at, you need an agent that will list it for what it WILL sell at! Pricing it right can mean a quick and more profitable sale.
- Selling your home is not convenient ~ You’re going to have to leave your home for showings, sometimes with little notice. You’ll need to pack away the pets and keep things picked up. If you realize this upfront, it won’t seem so inconvenient down the road.
- Smelly homes sell for less ~ You may not notice the smells in your home from your unique cooking, many pets, or the fact that the windows have been closed up but potential buyers will. Don’t be offended at your agent for pointing this out to you. Do a thorough cleaning along with carpets and furniture.
- Response time is critical ~ Don’t ignore requests from your agent. If they have questions about the house or about scheduling a showing, respond right away. Being available and prompt with these requests can make the difference between your house selling or your neighbors.
- Seeing themselves there ~ Remove family photos and personal items. The potential buyers need to be able to look around and see their stuff in the space, not look at your family photo to see if they know your Grandpa.
- Photos and videos can sell your home ~ In our technology based society, photos/videos really do matter. It is the first impression of your home and they should be high quality. Why would you use an agent that pulls out their phone to take pictures when you can use an agent that hires a professional?
- No hiding ~ Make sure you disclose anything you know about the home and if repairs are needed. When able, do the repairs prior to listing the home. Once a buyer sees a repair needs to be done if they weren’t aware before the showing will wonder what else is being hidden from them.
- Real estate expert ~ You may know a lot about real estate and have bought/sold homes over the years but you’re hiring an agent for a reason, they’re the expert. Experience is key, make sure you hire a trusted well respected real estate professional to be able to sell in the shortest time with the greatest return.
These are just a few of the things to consider when you’re getting ready to list your home. Interview agents and feel confident that your best interests are at the heart of the reason they are wanting to list your largest investment!